If you are thinking about having a destination wedding, then here are some tips on planning a destination wedding. These great pieces of advice come from a wide range of professional wedding photographers and planners. They have traveled all around the world for weddings and have photographed weddings at amazing locations.
Destinations with Dana
Hey there, destination couple! My name is Dana and I am the owner/photographer over at Destinations with Dana. One of my joys of being a destination wedding photographer is educating couples and sharing blogs that are inspiring. Each blog has a goal to inspire, and share my photography work of the couple, the venue, florals, invitation suites, and more. It’s so you can save it and get ideas, advice, or information when you are ready to plan your destination wedding.
This is why I wanted to share with you some incredible tips when you plan your destination wedding. Whether in Europe, Mexico, or Asia.
This blog here is all about giving the best advice on planning your destination wedding. Recently, Destination I Do shared my work from a shoot in Paris. There were several obstacles that encouraged several changes for the shoot, but we still made it work! You can read that here.
Tips on planning a destination wedding
- First things first, when you do get engaged, decide if a destination wedding is right for you. Consider your guests and if they are able to make it work financially, take off from their jobs for a certain length of time. If your friends and family love travel, are flexible, and you have always wanted to host a wedding at a different country, then this is perfect for you!
2. When planning a destination wedding, make sure to hire a professional planner who has knowledge in the destination wedding lifestyle. They are the pros for the reason. The professionals will be able to help you not only pick the right country, but the right venue in that country that is perfect for you. The planner takes care of much of the planning, paperwork (if needed), to lists, design, connection with local florist and catering, etc. Major aspects that make planning your destination wedding much easier.
3. Now, when it comes to choosing the time to have your wedding, consider the season that is there. Take a look at if there are local events that cause closures or delays. Summer seasons are better for destination weddings but the weather might be very hot and humid. So consider this when picking a venue or location.
More tips when planning your destination wedding
4. That brings me to my next tip, when you decide on your time frame, location, and venue, remember that it is also okay if you wait a year. For example, there are couples who got engaged in mid 2022 and are not having their Europe weddings until spring/summer/fall of 2024. This is because they want time to save so they can have the wedding they have dreamed of. Plus, guests can have time to save and prepare as well!
5. The last tip when it comes to planning your destination wedding, is consider some of the following: Transportation (how easy it is to get to the venue), if the guest can stay there or need to book a hotel near by, and if there are any holidays that could impact the experience. Many venues in the south of France can either be accessed by train from Paris or booked car ride from the local airport (Nice, France). In Europe, there are also holidays that could close restaurants, some attractions, etc. Or major concerts, marathons, etc. that also close train stops.
Thank you for reading the blog, and I hope this helps you as you prepare your destination wedding!